Join the Community
[Login / Register]

<
TRENDING TOPICS

HorrorBid Is Almost The New HorrorDomain.com - We Need Your Feedback - Info!!
Greetings everyone! We have been talking about it for a good while now, and the time is ne…
Jason Voorhees Returns In JASON XMAS! See The First 2 Parts Right Here!
If you are craving something new from the world of Jason Voorhees then you have come to th…
Inspired By True Events Comes HOUSE OF DUST - See The Trailer Here!
Redding House Asylum. For some, it is a reminder of a different time when medical treatmen…

From Harry Potter To Stephen KIng? David Yates Possibly Directing The Stand

Bookmark and Share

From the classic era to the very latest of today's horror movies. This area is dedicated for horror movie discussion of all kind.

From Harry Potter To Stephen KIng? David Yates Possibly Directing The Stand

New postby zombie10 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:35 pm

It's been reported that an adaption of Stephen King's The Stand is going to happen at some point. The novel was made into a mini-series back in 1994 but now is headed for the big screen. HitFix has reported that Harry Potter director, David Yates is possibly stepping in to bring this novel to the big screen with Steve Kloves as screenwriter. The novel tells the story of a biological weapon causing a full-scale apocalypse, which follows by the battle and struggle between the survivors.

zombie10
Stalker:
Stalker:

Headlines: 138
Relationship: In Relationship
Favorite Sub-Genre: Slasher
Favorite Quote: I came to chew bubblegum and kickass
HorrorBid is a "fan drivin" horror site which includes articles that are written by you the fans. Because of this some stories may have incorrect sourcing or other issues. If you have any concern about a post, please contact us by clicking here.

Re: From Harry Potter To Stephen KIng? David Yates Possibly Directing The Stand

New postby dew » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:06 pm

I honestly don't see how they could make a successful theater-release film out of The Stand. It's not just that the novel is so long, but so much is important to the plot that I can't imagine what could be cut out. The miniseries was decent; why not leave well enough alone?
dew
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 76
Favorite Sub-Genre: Vampire
Favorite Quote: We all go a little mad sometimes.

New postby gummi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Really don't see how this could be done effectively with a typical run time. It's going to be a very short stand.
gummi
Maniac:
Maniac:

Headlines: 3

New postby DaShape » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:50 pm

I read somewhere else that this isn't going to be just one movie . . . possibly a trilogy or a longer series, hence why they want to tap Yates who has experience directing a series of films that were adapted from books.
DaShape
Slasher Legend:
Slasher Legend:

Headlines: 1

New postby dew » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:53 am

DaShape wrote:I read somewhere else that this isn't going to be just one movie . . . possibly a trilogy or a longer series, hence why they want to tap Yates who has experience directing a series of films that were adapted from books.

Even so. It hasn't been THAT long since the miniseries, which in itself was both very good and quite faithful to the novel. Stephen King has a wide enough canon that they could pull a lot more for films rather than repeating the same ones.
dew
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 76
Favorite Sub-Genre: Vampire
Favorite Quote: We all go a little mad sometimes.

New postby jonespaker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:06 am

I hope it will possibly a longer movie series.
jonespaker
New User:
New User:

Headlines: 0
Relationship: Single
Favorite Sub-Genre: Horror-Comedy

New postby Jonny Sicko » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:09 am

I don't think even a trilogy (or more) for The Stand would work. There are so many characters, so many concepts going on this book...and typically making a series of movies takes years, that important details may be overlooked. I wasn't terribly impressed with Yate's work on the Harry Potter movies. I don't believe he even read the books prior to filming. I think the best treatment for a 1200+ page book is a Showtime/Starz/HBO mini-series over the course of several seasons. I mean the whole entire purpose of the book wasn't the horror, it wasn't the action, wasn't even really the characters themselves...those are all incidental. The purpose was, if the world became like this and all of the tools were just left around waiting to be picked up and used again...would we rebuild the world the same way? At least that's what I gathered from it. If that point is missed, then several movies worth of content are completely pointless. From Yate's work on Harry Potter, it seems entire plot lines don't matter. He likes to concentrate on the bullshit and extend it rather than shine a light on what's important.
Jonny Sicko
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 13
Relationship: Single
Favorite Sub-Genre: Horror-Comedy
Favorite Quote: "Be a man, Frank! Be a man!"
Next

Return to Horror Movie Talk