The film even failed to crack the top five, debuting in the number six slot, just slightly outperforming Final Destination 5, which fell four slots to place seventh with $7.7 million ($32 million after two weeks release) in ticket sales.
While these numbers are bleak, itâ€™s important to remember that August is statistically the worst month of the year for the box office.
Though Fright Night's debut numbers are abysmal (to put it kindly), genre fans can still find a touch of solace in the fact that Rise of the Planet of the Apes continues to thrill moviegoers: the Rupert Wyatt helmed reboot fell just one place, from first to second, and took in another $16 million at the box office to bring the film's three week total to over $133 million domestically.
Check out the box office top 10, according to boxofficemojo.com:
1. The Help - $20.4 million
2. Rise of the Planet of the Apes - $16.3 million
3. Spy Kids: All the time in the World - $12 million
4. Conan the Barbarian - $10 million
5. The Smurfs - $8 million
6. Fright Night - $7.9 million
7. Final Destination 5 - $7.7 million
8. 30 Minutes or Less - $6.3 million
9. One Day - $5.1 million
10. Crazy, Stupid, Love. - $4.9 million